Meet the Member - Alex Barnes from AJ Barnes Financial Planning Ltd
- Name of Business – AJ Barnes Financial Planning Ltd
- Who are you? We are a financial advice firm helping people across Cheshire with their pensions, investment planning and protection matters.
- What sets you apart from the competition? – Time and attention to detail. We spend real time getting to know what makes our clients tick. What their goals are. What their “why” is. Once we have a deeper understanding of exactly why someone is saving in a pension, saving in an ISA, paying a mortgage it brings our advice to life. We then put our clients on a programme of ongoing financial advice where we step in to make adjustments along the way ensuring everything stays up to speed and relevant to help the clients to get to their goals efficiently as possible whilst taking much of the legwork and research away from their jobs list. We want our clients to live wealthy lives and good financial understanding and planning is at the heart of that.
- How did the business come about? – I have been in the industry over a decade and am following in my Father’s footsteps setting up a financial practice. I wanted to take clients in a direction which really added value to them and they felt at ease with.
- What are your main target markets? We are experts in dealing with business owners on extracting profit from companies and tax efficiency, Teachers on their pension plans, Local government workers on their pension plans and families looking to manage their pension planning taking it away from being a complex thing to an easily understandable “Pension account” approach.
- How long has your business been in existence? - This is our first year and its flown by!
- How many staff do you employ? – We have Michelle who is our lead Paraplanner, Karen who is a Paraplanner, Anita who is our P.A and Paul our mortgage adviser.
- What job or achievement makes you most proud? – Seeing our clients have the “lightbulb” moment where they see their finances differently.
- Where do you see the business being in five years? – Taking up residency in our home village in Stockton Heath and bringing on more advisers in the practice being inspired to do a great job with our clients.
- Why Warrington? – It's proudly our home in Stockton Heath – We love working with the people of Warrington and will remain to do so for the long term until we are a main stay institution here.
- Tell us one interesting thing about the business that might surprise us? – We are an Associate Partner Practice of St. James’s Place Wealth Managment a FTSE 100 company.
- Tell us one interesting thing about you that people might not know? (i.e., hobbies, amusing fact, etc) – I played Rugby Union to a high level as a youngster.
- Brexit – good, bad, opportunity? – All of the above depending on who you speak to, what your leanings are. Financially it’s a bit of all 3. For the right person it’s an opportunity but the importance of short term events usually smooths out for someone looking to take a long term approach. It’s not about timing the market – it’s about time in the market as we say!
- Fantasy dinner party – which six people alive or dead would you invite? The Dalai Llama, Micky Flanagan, Eric Cantona, My Wife Roz, Ram Dass & Brian Cox – Not sure how they’d all get on but it would certainly be interesting so long as Eric didn’t try the Kung Fu!
“Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
The value of an investment with St. James's Place will be directly linked to the performance of the funds you select, and the value can therefore go down as well as up. You may get back less than you invested.
The Partner Practice is an Appointed Representative of and represents only St. James’s Place Wealth Management plc (which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority) for the purpose of advising solely on the Group’s wealth management products and services, more details of which are set out on the Group’s website www.sjp.co.uk/products. The title ‘Partner Practice’ is the marketing term used to describe St. James’s Place representatives.”