Meet the Member - Jay Allen from My TrueNORTH
• Name of Business: My TrueNORTH – The Ethical Coaching Company, Home of the #ADDAZERO Business Challenge
• Who are you? Jay Allen – Global Award Winning Entrepreneur | Published Business Author | International Speaker | Business SCALE Mentor
• What sets you apart from the competition? Having a varied prior work history, from a successful career in the British Army, to working at boardroom level for 2 of the largest brands on the High Street, and in Change Management within the Public Sector. In 2005 I turned my attention to becoming my own Boss! Since then I’ve either bought, acquired or Set up 4 of my own businesses, SCALED and EXITED twice, and now provide the help, support, guidance and accountability to other dedicated business owners seeking to SCALE and Exit their businesses also.
• How did the business come about? Let’s assume for one minute, that your LIFE goal was to trek to the North Pole! Your going to need a team, with the right training and equipment. Once you have all the those things (including a compass) you wait for the needle to settle on the N and set out…..right?.......WRONG! Set out from Warrington and you’ll find yourself somewhere in Pennsylvania! You see, your following MAGNETIC North!
And the same goes in more than 80% of Businesses. We have a great idea of where we would like to get to, we build a team, with equipment and set out on the course, but along the way can slowly vary our course (SOS). My TrueNORTH uses proven SCALE methodology to be your SUCCESS Sherpa. We review your path, and determine the best course to achieve your goals, whilst guiding you, and helping to carry some of the load!
• What are your main target markets? Whilst our methodology has been significantly tested and proven to work with both online and offline, product and service based businesses. We find we get the best results and the most enjoyment from working with professional service based businesses with small teams and significant ambition. Who already understand the major benefits of working collaboratively to achieve even greater goals.
• How long has your business been in existence? Whilst I have been working in the Coaching/Mentoring industry for over 25 years, and within change management for more than 15. THIS consultancy was first formed in May 2015.
• What job or achievement makes you most proud? Whilst it was an honour to have TWICE won a Global Entrepreneur ‘Big Impact to Business’ Award (Kauffmann Institute for Entrepreneurship) and humbled to have been added to the UK ‘Clear Business Thinking’ POWER 100 list (Smith & Williamson) By far the proudest achievement, is to declare 7 of our clients have been National Finalists in the Entrepreneur of the Year Awards (3 Winners within their specific category) and countless others winning both regional and industry specific awards.
• Where do you see the business being in five years?
o We have our own BFHAG as to where WE want to be in five years. As a Military Veteran, medically discharged from the British Army, I benefitted hugely from the services provided through the National Armed Forces Registered Charity: COMBAT STRESS. We’ve set our mission to build a holiday respite home for Veterans suffering with PTSD and other mental anguish to be able to holiday with the families in a safe and protected environment.
To achieve this, we’ve ‘crunched the numbers’ and have set our BUSINESS mission to provide the help, guidance, support and accountability to 10,000 Business owners to significantly and sustainable enable them to SCALE, with the ultimate aim to #ADDAZERO to their Personal Disposable Income!
• Why Warrington? Having originally relocated to Warrington from Harrogate, North Yorkshire to set up home with my now wife. I was immediately drawn to the feel, layout and ‘vibe’ within this thriving town. Equidistant between Chester Manchester and Liverpool, Warrington is central within this Golden Triangle – the epi-centre of business and trade across the North West of England.
I’ve only lived here since 2017, but have been immediately welcomed by both business and the local community, and very much looking forward to continuing to build strong bonds and relationships for years to come.
• Tell us one interesting thing about the business that might surprise us? Whilst there are umpteen books, papers, podcasts, webinars etc on Business Success. For almost 4 years, I recruited a team of analysts to study Business FAILURE! There is SO much we can learn from failure, and our research into the collapse of more than 150 Big Business Failures has revealed some SHOCKING truths! From this we worked with 2 of the UK’s largest business associations to determine how prevent these FLAWS are within SME businesses! And has resulted in us engineering our #ADDAZERO Business Challenge!
• Tell us one interesting thing about you that people might not know? (ie, hobbies, amusing fact, etc) During an operation tour in Bosnia with the United Nations, my vehicle slid on Black Ice and collided with HRH Prince Charles Motorcade!
• Fantasy dinner party – which six people alive or dead would you invite? What an exceptional question to end on! I think my 6 would have to be: