Meet the member - Twinfix
• Name of Business Twinfix Limited
• Who are you? We are a family run industrial roof glazing and canopy manufacturer.
• What sets you apart from the competition? Our high quality products, focus on safety and high level of customer service. We feel that being a family run SME we can offer our customers the personal touch. This results in a lot of repeat business. Twinfix genuinely cares about what we do and this is reflected in the product and service we provide.
• How did the business come about? Twinfix was established in 1990 by Graham Kench and was originally called Twinwall Fixings UK Limited (renamed as Twinfix in 2010). Graham’s background was in polycarbonate and he spent the early years of his career selling this glazing material in the UK and Europe for GE Plastics. Upon his involvement with Twinwall Fixings UK Limited in 1990, Graham saw an opportunity within the UK to sell the associated glazing bars and fixings to go with polycarbonate. Twinfix was selling some of the first glazing bars in the UK! The business then evolved and developed further bespoke glazing systems like our Multi-Link-Panel non-fragile system, a modular product which consists of an aluminium frame glazed with polycarbonate. The beauty of this system is its modular form, which cleverly allows it to be quickly and easily fixed and linked together in site. The system also meets the ACR test for fragility. Further developments came in the early naughties when Twinfix started to fabricate aluminium canopies in-house at our unit in Birchwood. We now supply our roof glazing products and bespoke fabricated structures to many sectors throughout the UK!
• What are your main target markets? Rail and education.
• How long have you been in existence? 28 years
• How many staff do you employ? 48
• What job or achievement makes you most proud? Stirling Station was a hugely successful undertaking for us. This project is a great example of the bespoke glazing systems Twinfix can manufacture and in large volumes too.
• Where do you see the business being in five years? Continuing to develop our product portfolio for both our existing customers and new markets, as well as providing secure employment for our team.
• Why Warrington? Transport and business links originally attracted Graham to Birchwood and the same applies today, almost three decades later.
• Tell us one interesting thing about the business that might surprise us? We really are a run family business… with various families making up the mix. The business is jointly managed by Directors (and sisters) Sarah Kench and Vicky Evans. In addition, many of our employees are related to each other – we have husbands and wives, fathers and sons, brothers, and uncles and nephews all working in various areas of the business.
• Tell us one interesting thing about you that people might not know? (ie, hobbies, amusing fact, etc) Back in the late 90’s Twinfix provided the modular glazing panel system for the walls of the Millennium Dome.
• Brexit – good, bad, opportunity? Originally we were very anti coming out of Europe, and like many we were disappointed with the referendum result. Now we are in the situation of negotiating the best deal for the country I think there are opportunities for it to be good for the UK, however it feels a long way off before we can start to benefit from that! The economic uncertainty that the process of leaving will bring will be challenging times.
Fantasy dinner party – which six people alive or dead would you invite? Barack Obama, The Queen, Neil Armstrong, Kate Middleton