- Name of Business
- Who are you?
Catax work with the Warrington Business Exchange network to help them maximise the return on their investment in innovation through R&D tax relief and Patent Box tax relief, as well as helping them to fund future innovation through Grant funding.
We also are the UK’s leading expert on embedded capital allowances, which can be claimed on commercial property purchases. There is a tax incentive to be claimed on the cost of commercial property owned by a UK tax paying company or high net worth individual. On average you can claim tax relief up to 20% of the value of the property.
With over 12 years of experience, our team has helped claim over £390 million in tax relief and grant funding for our clients. We consult with you to identify the right claim and the right grant for your business, and we break down the process for you, so all you need to do is provide us with some details, and we’ll take care of the rest.
We are trusted partners with many of the UK’s top accountants, solicitors, the Law Society, ICAEW and IFA amongst other industry bodies and we have offices across the UK.
- What sets you apart from the competition?
Catax have teams of experts in embedded capital allowances, research and development tax relief and innovation grant funding, these include accountants, forensic accountants, surveyors, lawyers, and project managers. We also have experts in various areas of science and technology like material science. Having all this expertise in one place, across so many disciplines and with such a high volume of successful claims puts us in a unique position to stand out and set us apart from any of our competitors.
- How did the business come about?
One of the directors is a qualified accountant and had a very large database of costs for embedded capital allowances but didn’t know how to productise it and sell it to customers. Another director had expertise in building businesses and launching IT and technology products to market. So together they built a proposition and infrastructure to sell in a much more professional and organised way. This model was then replicated across research and development tax relief and grant funding.
- What are your main target markets?
UK limited companies spending more than £40K on research and development, have plus 5 employees and turnover is more than £1M
UK limited companies who are looking to apply for innovation grant funding, start-ups and scale-ups
Owners of UK commercial properties and property portfolios, where the property cost more that £750K
- How long has your business been in existence?
- How many staff do you employ?
120 employees across the UK and Canada
- What job or achievement makes you most proud?
Catax have received lots of awards and endorsements from key bodies in their sector, but the achievements that make us most proud are when a client receives a large research and development tax credit or gets a successful innovation grant application approved. We can only talk about the ones who have given us permission. One such company is Maverick who we achieved both while developing the worlds first hands free “Jet Pack”
- Where do you see the business being in five years?
Catax will continue to grow in the UK and Canada and focus on being the “Innovation Funding Support” business of choice for the UK innovators.
- Tell us one interesting thing about the business that might surprise us?
Catax Group have a division in Canada
- Tell us one interesting thing about you that people might not know? (ie, hobbies, amusing fact, etc)
I am quite open, so most people not quite a lot about me, my gardening exploits and my HIT exercise classes as an example. But one thing you probably won’t know is that I was hit by a shotput in high school, which explains a lot.
- Fantasy dinner party – which six people alive or dead would you invite?
- Mathew Brodrick from Ferris Buellers day off, I was only 14 but, still haven’t laughed that much since
- David Attenborough – Keen to hear his life story and views on the current climate changes
- Neil Alden Armstrong – Did you really walk on the moon? And are there such things as aliens
- Peter Kaye – “Garlic bread”
- Bill Austin – I would love to speak to him again
- Kylie Minogue – I should be so lucky